Pages

Sunday, March 30, 2014

Strength training

I decided I needed to make more of a point to include strength training into my marathon prep.

It had to be a quick total body workout and I found one on Runner's World by a sports medicine physician, Dr. Jordan Metzl.
  • Warm up: 2 minutes- 30 second sets of jumping jacks, squats, lunges
  • Plyometric jump squats 6-8 sets of 15 reps
  • Super Set 1 (5 minutes): 
    • Rows in plank position with 6-8 pound weights, 15 reps
    • Push ups, 15 reps
    • Sit ups, 45 reps
  • Super Set 2 (5 minutes):
    • Plyometric lunges, 10 reps
    • 1 leg squats, 10 reps
  • Super Set 3 (5-6 minutes):
    • Mountain climbers, 15 reps
    • Leg lifts, 15 reps
  • Super Set 4 (5 minutes):
    • Squat with deadlift and high pull, 15 reps
    • 1 leg balance with shoulder press, 15 reps
    • 1 leg balance with bicep curl, 15 reps
  • Burpees- 4 sets of 10 with 20 second rest
  • Planks: 1 minute regular, 1 minute left, 1 minute right
That was my workout Thursday!
Friday and Saturday-no workout :(

Sunday (today)-10 miles! And at an 8:29 pace to boot! Considering it was the first time I ran more than 6 miles, I'll take it.

Training schedule for half and full planned out today! So excited to have a plan again.


Any other great full body strength workouts out there?

No comments:

Post a Comment